ALL A B C D E F G H I J L M N O P Q R S T U W      Acronyms     Sections

(Freq) 1G Trucking permits and Trucker questions (09)
Truck Permits:
If someone has a question about overweight, oversized, harvest, agricultural or escort/pilot car permits (sometimes called amber light permit)then we will handle that in DOTD Truck Permits. Always provide the caller with the number before you transfer.
Number: 800-654-1433
Local number is: 225-343-2345
Fax 225-377-7154
There is a new Service online for permits called LaGeaux where they can sign up to order permits online.

As of July 1, 2022, Weights and Standards will fall under the direction of DOTD. Weight Enforcement's primary function is ensuring that commercial vehicle traffic is in compliance with the laws regulating weight, size, and registration. 225-377-7100 or email

All other issues will go to a section of the Fed Motor Carriers, State Police or OMV:

Louisiana State Police
The Transportation Safety Services are comprised of the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division. These sections are responsible for the enforcement of all applicable Federal and State regulations that relate to the commercial motor transportation industry. The primary mission of the TSS is maintaining the safety of those traveling our roadways through education, uniform enforcement of applicable regulations and partnerships with industry and our State and Federal counterparts.
Additionally, the State Police have the Emergency Services Unit (ESU), which is the primary agency in the state of Louisiana with both the regulatory and statutory authority for hazardous material and explosives. The Hazardous Materials Hotline, 1-877-925-6595, is staffed by Right-to-Know personnel and is the central repository for chemical spills or hazardous material emergency notifications. Transporters, manufacturers, storage facilities and/or persons handling regulated hazardous materials must contact the LSP Hotline immediately to report an incident.
All of these sections can be reached at:
Phone: 225-925-6113
Fax: 225-925-4048

Federal DOT
If you are trying to obtain a DOT# or have questions about a DOT Physical you will want to contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration which is a branch of the Federal Department of Transportation. You can reach them at their website or by dialing 800-832-5660. This is also a great place to start if you are just getting into the trucking business.

Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles
The OMV is a source for a number of trucker related issues starting with your license and registration of your vehicle.
If you have questions about a CDL license or a CDL Drug Test you can call them at 225-925-4195.
If you have a questions about a Trip Permit - A trip permit is a temporary authority document issued to allow an apportionable vehicle without an IRP apportioned registration to travel in a jurisdiction without obtaining an IRP plate. A carrier should secure a trip permit prior to entering a jurisdiction for which they are not apportioned. Trip permits for travel in Louisiana are valid for 48 hours at a cost of $50.00 and can be obtained through one of the wire service companies, DOTD Weight Enforcement Division Port of Entry Scales (see above), and Office of Motor Vehicles (Trip Permit).
Questions about Mobile Home Transport tags – call 225-925-6364.
You can find out more information at their website including a list of wire service companies at their website
Additional outlets for trucker related issues are:

IRS – Road Use tax
If you have questions about the Road Use Tax you will want to reach out to the IRS Trucking Tax Center at
Louisiana Department of Revenue – IFTA – International Fuel Tax Agreement is a base jurisdiction fuel tax agreement that allows for single jurisdiction tax reporting. If you have questions about this, please contact (225) 219-7656.
TSA – Transportation Security Administration. The Transportation Worker Identification Credential, also known as TWIC®, is required by the Maritime Transportation Security Act for workers who need access to secure areas of the nation's maritime facilities and vessels. TSA conducts a security threat assessment (background check) to determine a person's eligibility and issues the credential. U.S. citizens and immigrants in certain immigration categories may apply for the credential.
For more information call (855) 347-8371 or visit