Mardi Gras Holiday Travel
Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 12:53:20 PM
Date: January 31, 2017
Contact: Truck Permit Office
Phone: (225) 343-2345
Fax: (225) 377-7149
The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development’s Secretary, Shawn D. Wilson, Ph.D., announced today that oversize and overweight vehicle movement on all State highways will be prohibited in selected areas on Saturday, February 25, 2017 through Tuesday, February 28, 2017 in observance of the Mardi Gras season. The selected areas are:
The prohibition does not apply to the Secretary’s December 8 waiver order for housing units and mobile classrooms.
- Parishes of Orleans, Jefferson and St. Bernard (including the interstates)
- Within the city limits of Lafayette, with the exception of I-10
- Within the city limits and surrounding area of New Roads
- Within the city limits and surrounding area of Houma
- Within the city limits and surrounding area of Lake Charles, with the exception of I-10 and I-210
Wilson said the decision was made in conjunction with the Louisiana Department of Public Safety, Office of State Police, to provide maximum safety for motorists traveling on State highways during this season.
The Truck Permit Office will remain open Monday, February 27, 2017 and Tuesday, February 28, 2017 for the issuance of permits outside the designated areas.