The proposed Houma-Thibodaux to Louisiana Highway 3127 (LA 3127) Connection would improve north-south system linkage between the Houma-Thibodaux area and the Mississippi River corridor and improve emergency and hurricane evacuation within Louisiana's bayou region through the establishment of a functional north-south transportation facility. The project is proposed to accomplish the following objectives:
- Improve north-south connectivity and mobility between U.S. Highway 90 (US 90) and LA 3127 through an increase in the number of north-south links;
- Provide north-south system redundancy by identifying alternatives that enable additional options for north-south travel when LA 20 fails;
- Provide improved north-south highway network capacity in the project area;
- Provide a direct, limited access route between the Houma-Thibodaux area and the Mississippi River corridor to improve access to and from the Houma-Thibodaux area; and
- Maximize the efficient use and operation of hurricane evacuation routes by improving system redundancy, decreasing travel time, and providing facility access, capacity, and balanced distribution of evacuation traffic among critical Mississippi River crossings.