DOTD announces enhancements to 511 Travel Information Website
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
BATON ROUGE, La. – Today, the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announced updates to its 511 Travel Information Website (www.511la.org). The new design features live streaming video for traffic cameras, enhanced mapping and directional tools, in addition to upgraded navigational capabilities.
The new streaming video has replaced all static camera images, with the exception of those located around the U.S. 90 Greater New Orleans Bridge.
The additional website enhancements include:
• A “zoom to a place” option to quickly search for events or traffic cameras in any area of the state, even rural locations
• An option to enter start and end points, and see a list of events along their specific route
• A larger “album view” format, which allows users to scroll quickly through event and ferry information, as well as camera images
• An option to share traffic information, with the exception of traffic cameras, via email, Facebook and Twitter
• The ability to bookmark specific, regularly-accessed traffic cameras
• A “find where I am” button that allows users to geolocate themselves and see nearby events and cameras.
Motorists can access the latest updates on real-time traffic and road conditions using the 511 Traveler Information System by dialing 511 from their telephone and saying the route or region about which they are seeking information. Out-of-state travelers can call 1-888-ROAD-511 (1-888-762-3511). Travelers can also access this information by visiting the 511 Traveler Information Web site at www.511la.org.
Additionally, motorists can utilize the new "Way to Geaux" application to receive real-time, around-the-clock travel alerts. The hands-free, eyes-free smartphone application can be downloaded on any iPhone or Android device by visiting the iTunes App Store, or Google Play.