BROUSSARD, La. -- The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announces a traffic shift for motorists traveling on U.S. 90 westbound to the new U.S. 90 westbound frontage road beginning Sunday, January 29, at 5 a.m.
Before traffic is completely shifted to the new frontage road, crews will deactivate all signals at the intersection of U.S. 90 and Albertson Parkway/St. Nazaire and install a new signal to accommodate the westbound traffic shift.
While the new signal is being installed, the following traffic restrictions will be in place:
• Traffic on U.S. 90 eastbound can only continue straight or right turn only at the Albertson Parkway intersection.
• Traffic on U.S. 90 westbound can only continue straight or right turn only at the St. Nazaire intersection.
• Traffic traveling eastbound on Albertson Parkway will be diverted to turn left or right at La. 182. Through movements will be prohibited.
• Traffic traveling westbound on St. Nazaire will only be allowed to turn right. Through and left turns movements will be prohibited.
• Traffic traveling southbound on La. 182 will not be allowed to turn left onto Albertson Parkway.
• The La. 182 on-ramp onto U.S. 90 may have intermittent closures to facilitate striping. Motorist can access U.S. 90 via La. 182 and Celebrity Drive.
Once the new signal is in place, traffic on U.S. 90 westbound will be switched to the new frontage road and guided by police escorts through the new detours.
The detours are as follows:
• The suggested detour will begin approximately 1000 ft. north of the Billeaud Overpass.
• When shifted, traffic will continue on the new westbound frontage road until they reach the St. Nazaire intersection. Once there, motorists will be able to turn right onto St. Nazaire, continue straight onto the new frontage road.
• Traffic continuing on the westbound frontage road will be shifted back to existing U.S. 90 westbound highway.
To facilitate the traffic shift, crews will also remove current striping and install transitional striping.
All construction activities are weather dependent, and may be re-scheduled in the event of inclement weather.
DOTD apologizes for any inconvenience to the traveling public and encourages motorists to lookout for crews and their equipment.
As part of the Geaux South program, current work underway is related to the $57.1 million design-build project that involves widening U.S 90 to six-lanes from Albertson Parkway to north of the Ambassador Caffery intersection. The project will also construct an overpass along U.S. 90 above Albertson Parkway, a new railroad overpass and modify the adjacent frontage roads. Work on the project is slated for completion in summer 2018.