Contact: Deidra Druilhet
LAKE CHARLES, La. – The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announces Interstate 10 at the Sabine River, near the Texas State Line, is closed to traffic in the east and westbound direction due to flooding.
DOTD will continue to monitor weather conditions and will advise of any changes.
Travelers going through Louisiana should stay on I-20. http://bit.ly/1RiTMc3
Although it is not advisable to travel during inclement weather, the suggested detour routes ( http://bit.ly/1QUo2Xq) for I-10 traffic are as follows:
• I-10 to I-49 to I-20 (into Texas) to I-10
• I-20 (into Louisiana) to I-49 to I-10
Motorists should follow these safety tips when driving in inclement weather:
• Obey barricades and high-water signs.
• Avoid using cruise control when visibility is low or road surfaces are wet.
• Allow for extra driving time.
• Reduce speeds when visibility is low.
• Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles.
• Avoid driving into standing or running water.
Motorists can access the latest updates on real-time traffic and road conditions using the 511 Traveler Information System by dialing 511 from their telephone and saying the route or region on which they are seeking information. Out-of-state travelers can call 1-888-ROAD-511 (1-888-762-3511). Travelers can also access this information by visiting the 511 Traveler Information Web site at www.511la.org.